Friday, July 21, 2006

WHAT I"VE LEARNT FROM FLEA


I was watching Flea from the Red Hot Chilli Peppers. I've learnt so much from him. His insights have lead me to rediscover what it really means to be a musician. Mervyn, thanks for lending me the DVD. Though overdue in time, I thought I needed a few moments from those precious insights.



He said something that really shocked me.



"You cannot be a good musician if you do not have a pure love for what is beautiful."


That was the exact quote. He went on to say that if we have anything evil or vile that's disturbing us, not having the right thoughts about somebody, the soul of the person can't produce a touch that sounds pure and undefiled. How true this is! If we do not love people from the deepest pits of our hearts, we can't get our own sound out, because he understands that love connects with people, not noise.


And this was from a guy who I believe got involved with drugs and fights in the past. He's cleaned up his mess, and he is absolutely soaring in his career.


He ended off by saying:

"In whatever you do, be true to yourself. If u have to the funniest clown, do it to the best you know. If u want to be the best rock smashing guitarist, do it to the best you can. Just be true to yourself."


And immediately, I thought about the music that I liked but never had the chance to do. I absolutely love 80s and 90s music. It's very me. I grew so much in music because of this influence. I really wanted to do a gig that just played the 90s. It's very me. And before that, I approached Jonathan to do a gig with me that I wanted to include 90s music. I know we share the same frequency, and I'm so glad to have found such a friend. I have to find a connection with my roots, I was getting frustrated.

As a drummer, I feel that being true to myself is really about playing songs like Earth Wind and Fire's After the love has gone, or Don Henley's The end of the innocence. People may say that.. oh don't u think it's too old? Why not top 40s? Go with the flow and impress people la. But I say to them...

I produce my own sound with what I like and what I do best. That itself is better than any top 40 song you could ask for. And that's my best gift to you. Not an imitator of a sound. But a sound from my own soul.







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»

Web Site Counters
Rent Movie Online